There are numerous conditions associated with shoulder pain. The shoulder is highly susceptible to postural stress and repetitive-use injuries. The shoulder is very mobile but requires scapular and core stability to prevent overuse injuries. Sometimes, shoulder pain can actually be coming from a problem in your neck.
Your shoulder pain may be due to one or more of the following:
- Rotator cuff problem such as tendinitis or rotator cuff tear
- Referred pain due to a neck/cervical disc problem or pinched nerve
- Referred pain due to neck/mid-back joint restrictions
- Shoulder impingement due to postural stress and/or repetitive use
- Arthritis, aka osteoarthritis, aka degenerative joint disease
Spine & Sports Chiropractic’s shoulder treatment approach includes:
- Chiropractic spinal and extremity adjustments or manual manipulation: Adjustments help restore normal motion, balance musculature and reduce pain.
- Physiotherapy: To reduce acute pain and inflammation.
- Muscle soft-tissue techniques: To help reduce muscle pain and tightness and improve muscle/ligament function.
- Therapeutic exercises: Specific “low tech” rehabilitation exercises and assisted stretches are given to improve flexibility, function and strength and prevent re-injury.
- Diet and supplement suggestions: An anti-inflammatory diet and specific supplements can help reduce shoulder pain.
- Lifestyle modifications: Postural and repetitive stress activities may need to be addressed.